Wanna try my vegan Kare-Kare recipe?
2 blocks firm tofu or any mock meat, fried and quartered (optional)
1 cup shiitake or mixed mushrooms
2 eggplant, quartered
1 cup spinach (optional)
1 cup string beans or green beans, cut into 1-½ inch long
1 bunch pechay or chinese cabbage
1 banana bud or bamboo shoots, chopped
2-5 cloves garlic, crushed and roughly chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
½ cup ground peanuts or ½ cup peanut butter dissolve in 1 cup of hot water (add more if nedded)
3 - 5 Tbsp vegetable oil
¼ cup or less uncooked rice
Salt to taste
Soy sauce as desired
- To roast the rice; Heat the pan on a medium/medium high heat. Once it is hot enough, pour the rice. Important to keep the rice moving so that won't burn. When the rice turned brown, set aside.
- Sauté garlic, onions and tomatoes. Add salt and soy sauce. Add roasted rice, cook for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, banana bud, string beans and then the pechay, eggplant and tofu.
- When the vegetables are slightly cooked, add the ground peanuts or peanut butter. Bring to a boil. Don't overcook. Salt to taste.
- Add spinach. Stir.
- Garnish with ground ground peanuts.
- Serve with steam rice, vegan bagoong alamang (vegan sauteed salted shrimp paste) and chilli and calamansi juice (lime or lemon juice).
- Makes 2 servings
Do you like this page?
Feel free to send us recipes, comments and suggestions: